Come visit us at the Connecticut Country Store!

Come visit us at the Connecticut Country Store!
Smart Folks Shop Local!

Thought for the moment.....

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Saturday afternoon

Yesterday I had to buy a flashlight for my head!  Waking up at 5am to feed the animals before heading to work is very...dark.  I've tried several things including carrying an oil lamp during the hurricane!  I've decided that a head lamp was the only way to go and so far so good although it takes a bit of getting used to and the dogs definately don't like it.

The past few months my life has changed dramatically.  Some bad, some good.  Let us focus on the good.  I left a full time job that was incredibly draining.  I adopted some guinea hens to add to my group.  I FINALLY began to spin the angora wool I've been harvesting for 2 years!  And I've started to have time for the things I love, the crafts I've learned, and the wonderful people in my life.

This week I started working in the store regularly for the first time in over a year.  I'm working on developing new products, reaching out to new artists, and with luck bringing in another building to provide the space we need to grow.  I'm also improving our online presense with an online store, adding my own products to other online venues, and promising once again that I will blog blog blog the adventures.

Today's blog (in addition to this one) I will be demonstrating a recipe for my hens and turkeys.  It uses gelatin and scratch grain to form hanging 'popcorn ball' type treat to keep the birds busy and out of trouble.  I'm hoping my sister-in-law will also try this with her chickens and report back!  Over the next week I will be writing to you from my pottery studio and my kitchen with new fun things to make. 

I'm also starting plans for a 'Cleaver Night'.  When I was a kid my mother would have her girlfriends over to make crafts and talk about life and enjoy eachother's company while the husbands watched sports.  I know, very stereotyped, but true.  My mother would make up all sorts of easy fun crafts to do that would result in a nice end product within 2 hours.  My goal is to start this tradition here at the store.  I'll document the crafts we made with materials for those who can't be with us.  My plan right now is 1-2 sessions per month with alternating weeks for a free-for-all where people can just bring what they want to work on.

I'll let you know how this all goes as we move on to these new adventures!

Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silky and Cochin Hut 2011

Guineas in their new flight cage!

Easy Bantam Nesting Boxes

Easy Homemade Bread!