Come visit us at the Connecticut Country Store!

Come visit us at the Connecticut Country Store!
Smart Folks Shop Local!

Thought for the moment.....

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Turkey day

This morning was the last for the turkeys.  I cared for them as best I could and tried to give them what they needed with comfort and plenty of food.  I cried while setting up for the day and then left before the processing started.  I feel bad about this but I just wasn't ready to help, I loved those turkeys.  Luckily, I have a lot of great friends and family who processed 10 turkeys - the smallest weighing 34 pounds fully dressed.  I honestly don't know how we are going to fit the big ones in the oven (the biggest was 43 pounds). 

Their size alone demonstrates my need to learn more about what I am doing in raising these birds.  I obviously fed them too much.  They seemed happy, though, and that was my main objective - to raise happy healthy birds.  I guess I just raised them a little too happy on the food!

This afternoon I went to another farm to spruce up my decorative flock for the spring.  I got 2 white silkies and 2 cochins - 1 black, 1 blue.  The silkies might be carrying fertilized eggs of colored silkies and that is what I am hoping for, too.  The cochins are only 3 months old.  The silkies are 6 months old.  Right now everyone is happy about the additions except Harriet who is feeling a little cramped in her very large and nice housing.  My mother always said, "you can't please everyone all of the time!"

I am hoping to post nice pictures of the additions tomorrow.  Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silky and Cochin Hut 2011

Guineas in their new flight cage!

Easy Bantam Nesting Boxes

Easy Homemade Bread!