Come visit us at the Connecticut Country Store!

Come visit us at the Connecticut Country Store!
Smart Folks Shop Local!

Thought for the moment.....

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Mayo

The Catahoula's (dogs) met the goats this morning and it went very well. We introduced them 1 at a time and had the goats safely in thier pen. They were very curious and Roxi cried a little because she couldn't get in the pen with the goats. I think we will take the time over the next few weeks to introduce them regularly and seperately to get them used to the goats while the goats are safely in thier pen.  This way when the goats graduate to living outdoors, the dogs won't bark and go crazy at them.  So far so good.

Today's Earth Handbook discussed the 'Humble Honeybee' and how the cooperation of the colony works to survive. Unfortunately they are not surviving and this posses a real threat to our food production. This year John and I have chosen to raise 2 colonies of bees in our back yard (with the help of my friend Jeff and the Eastern Connecticut Bee Association). I took classes on the UConn campus to help me learn how to raise the bees and keep them healthy. It was a lot of learning and I'm sure I couldn't be ready and will learn a lot this first year. I pick up my colonies on May 11, 2010 - just a few more days!!!!!!!!!! (I'll have to start getting up at 4am!)


Enjoy this beautiful day and Be Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silky and Cochin Hut 2011

Guineas in their new flight cage!

Easy Bantam Nesting Boxes

Easy Homemade Bread!