Come visit us at the Connecticut Country Store!

Come visit us at the Connecticut Country Store!
Smart Folks Shop Local!

Thought for the moment.....

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The farm is buzzing!

Yesterday we installed our 20,000 (give or take a few) bees and today with weather in the 60's they were buzzing around and having a great time.  I went out to thier hives this morning after feeding the goats and just stood there.  If you have never stood in front of a hive, it is an experience.  The bees are flying in and out and whizzing past you so fast you can only see a streak and hear a quick buzz.  My inspiration for getting the bees was not honey (although that totally has helped my allergies and I no longer take any allergy meds most of the year!).  Before they came, I loved to sit out in the garden in the morning, when it was quiet and the ground still damp, and listen and watch the bees work.  Sometimes they would land on me or there would be bunches all around me and they were so busy, so determined at thier duties, that it was like I was not there at all.  I loved that.  SO, being me, I went out and bought 20,000 of them.  ha!  This is not to say that I didn't hold my breath and say a little prayer when THAT many were crawling all over me - I did.  Now I'm more used to them in large numbers, calmer, I can breath easier when I change their feeder or drone comb.  And there are times, like this morning, when the sun is warm and the silence is all around me and I can stand with arms stretched out taking in all of those busy creatures and just smile and know 'Life is Good'.

Be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silky and Cochin Hut 2011

Guineas in their new flight cage!

Easy Bantam Nesting Boxes

Easy Homemade Bread!